Properties of oats: why is it so good?
If you want to know its benefits, how to take it to lose weight, if it is better in grain, flakes, bran or flour, and where to get it, read on.
Its benefits for cardiovascular health, the nervous system, the digestive system or even for weight loss, have placed oats on the podium of cereals. We tell you all its secrets, its benefits, how to take oatmeal in the most appropriate and healthy way, and where to get it if you don’t have it on hand.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CONSUMING OATMEAL?
- It has a lot of protein. In addition, they are proteins of high biological quality, since they provide almost all the essential amino acids.
- Lower cholesterol. The beta-glucans in oats help reduce bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Lower blood pressure. Avenanthramides are polyphenols found almost exclusively in oats and help regulate blood pressure.
- It is very energetic. And for the most part they are slowly absorbed, which provide a greater feeling of satiety after eating, and they provide energy in a moderate but constant way.
- Ideal for constipation.
- Rich in minerals and B vitamins. A 50-gram serving of wholemeal oat flakes provides 25% of daily phosphorus, 20% of magnesium, 15% of iron, 50% of manganese and 22% of vitamin B1 . It also provides some potassium, calcium, selenium, silicon, copper, zinc and vitamins E, B2 and B3, as well as numerous antioxidants.
- And most of these, in addition, are unsaturated and, therefore, recommended.
- Super satiating. It is ideal for losing weight because it satisfies a lot and puts on little weight.
IS OATMEAL GOOD FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
Oatmeal is a great ally for losing weight because, as it has more protein and fiber than other cereals – as well as fewer carbohydrates (and especially slow absorption) – it is very nutritious, satiating and less fattening. But how is it better to take it: in grain, flakes, bran or flour? Depends on what you want it for.
Here you have an oatmeal diet prepared by our nutritionist Mª Isabel Beltrán with which you can lose 3 kilos without going hungry.
RECIPES WITH OATS
Here you have a lot of oatmeal recipes to get the most out of this cereal.
- It is the least known presentation. It is the grain of the plant as it is or peeled, but without pressing.
- It gives you all its carbohydrates and, if it is unpeeled, its fiber as well.
- It is very nutritious, but it is not the most recommended if you want to lose weight.
- It requires soaking and cooking and is used in salads or combined with other grains: rice, quinoa or couscous…
- They are the result of husking and pressing the cereal grains.
- They give you fiber and some protein and more slow-absorbing carbohydrates than in other presentations. Especially if you take them refined, without the shell. If you want to use oats to lose weight, better whole grains.
- Indicated to calm hunger while you get energy, because its slow-absorbing carbohydrates cause energy to be released little by little and you have a feeling of satiety for longer.
- They are used in breakfasts with oatmeal, pastries, batters…
- Oat bran is the outer shell of the grains of this cereal, that is, what is left over after refining the oat grains to obtain flakes.
- Among its properties, its low carbohydrate content and its richness in fiber stand out, which is satiating, provides minerals and vitamins, helps combat constipation and provides energy.
- It is the ideal presentation for slimming diets.
- It is used in oatmeal smoothies with fruit and vegetables, breakfasts with yogurt and other dairy products, and as a substitute for breadcrumbs in batters.
- It is the least ‘natural’ presentation of all because it is the result of crushing and refining the oat grain to a greater or lesser extent.
- Being refined, it is the poorest in fiber but with many carbohydrates. To counteract it, better if it is integral.
- If you want to keep the weight at bay, it is the least indicated of all.
- It is used to make oatmeal pancakes, breads, cakes and pastries, and also as a substitute for other heavier flours.
WHERE CAN YOU FIND IT?
Nowadays, in all supermarkets you can find flour, bran and oat flakes with an excellent value for money. But, if you want to find presentations that are more difficult to find (biological, whole grain, gourmet oats…), here is a selection of some of the most sought after and best valued on Amazon.
AND WHAT IS THIS OATMEAL PORRIDGE?
If you want to discover what the latest foodie trend on Instagram is all about.
PROPERTIES OF OATS
- Healthy energy. Contains many slow-absorbing carbohydrates.
- Rich in minerals and B vitamins , as well as numerous antioxidants and anti-inflammatories.